Thursday 29 January 2015

Problems, Problems, We All Have Problems...


I was tagged by the awesome Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight and Henna @ Howling for Books to do the Reader Problems Tag originally created by  About To Read.


1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
I don't think 20,000 books would fit in my house. I must live in a library. Yes! Wishes do come true. Now, when I open my eyes will I be in Italy?
Easy. I don't. No, really. Obviously review books are in order of month, so I ask someone to pick a number from 1-(whatever number of books in that month) and read the book from the number they pick.  My own books I read when I feel like reading, though they're usually the newer ones I buy, instead of the ones I that have probably been on my shelf for a year that I said I would get to next time...and still haven't. Like Dangerous Girls, (yes, I know, I should've read it like yesterday Instead, I read it the other day.) and Ensnared that I was like GIVE ME two months ago, and now have read some reviews and I'm just...no.

2. You're halfway through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

These go one or two ways for me, usually if it's an "okay" book I will finish it, if it's interesting enough and I don't mind the characters. I usually DNF if it's mind numbingly boring  and I don't like the characters, or if manages to piss me off so much. Or sometimes (if it's particularly stupid or insulting or a total cliché, I finish reading just so I can rant at it).


3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

Catch up, like the end of 2014, my Goodreads challenge was 125, I but once I surprassed that I wanted to get to 150, I had around 7 books with two weeks to go, so I went through some graphic novels I've been meaning to get to and haven't. I made it to 152 by Jan, whoo.

4. The covers of a series you love do not match. How do you cope?
I don't cope. I hide them in the back shelf so I don't have to look at them. Poor orphan books. But it's also why I have hardbacks and paperbacks of my favourites. Though, I have a Collectors Edition of The Hunger Games that's clothbound and in it's own case, and it's gorgeous and everything BUT THEY ONLY DONE IT FOR THE HUNGER GAMES. WHERE'S CATCHING FIRE and MOCKINGJAY? WHERE?


5. Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don't like. Who do you bond with over their shared feelings?
This is why I love goodreads and blogger friends because mine don't, as much. Amber used to, but we don't really have the same taste in books (she loves the House of Night series and the Hush, Hush series, and I'd rather eat the pages than finish them) though I did get her to read All Our Yesterdays (and she loved it!).

6. You're reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
Easy,  I don't read in public because everything's too distracting and I can't concentrate (I'm that reader), I sometimes read on the bus if I'm going into town, but if I'm not, I don't, otherwise I'd miss my bloody stop).

7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?
Ugh, I have to make that decision when it comes to Half Wild by Sally Green, I loved Half Bad, and while I remember the main things that happened, I can't remember all of it. And I have to write a piece championing my favourite character- which was Gabriel- so I'm definitely going to have to reread. Hopefully. Help?

8. You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people no when they ask?
The horror. The absolute horror. Me and Amber used to borrow each other's books all the time, this is when I was younger and didn't care about spines cracking, about bending pages (Amber, not me, I wasn't that free with books, even back then). Now? No. No. No. Don't care. No. If I knew that person was a book person, then by all means, I know how they'd treat a book. That's fine. Others? I just say, "I haven't read it yet, but once I do you can borrow it." When I've already read it. And you're certainly not going to borrow it.

9. Reading ADD. You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
I  don't get in them that much (luckily) but I just usually power through it, otherwise I wouldn't read anything.
10. There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
I buy the ones I know I'd like (reading reviews from my trusted blogger friends) and the others I usually wait until the paperback.
 1 1. After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long they sit on your shelf before you get to them
Ha! Well, I have This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers that I've had since 2012. Some that I can't even remember on my back shelf that have probably been there longer. The newer ones I buy usually get read first, although I bought a load of books back last January and have only read...one. That was Anna and the French Kiss. The others are still there and I've bought loads more since then. Some I have for a week before reading, most over a month, then there's the strays  that like not to be read until at least a year.
How do you overcome some of your reader problems?

I'm tagging...
Christy and Erica @ Novel Ink