Thursday 11 June 2015

Guest Review by Amber: Possess






Possess
Author: 
August 23rd 2011
  Balzer + Bray
Pages : 382
Rough estimate of time it took to read: 8 Hours
Source: Gifted by Kirsty 

Fifteen-year-old Bridget Liu just wants to be left alone: by her overprotective mom, by Matt Quinn, the cute son of a local police sergeant, and by the eerie voices she can suddenly and inexplicably hear. Unfortunately for Bridget, the voices are demons - and Bridget possesses the rare ability to banish them back to whatever hell they came from. Literally.

Terrified to tell her friends or family about this new power, Bridget confides in San Francisco's senior exorcist, Monsignor Renault. The monsignor enlists her help in increasingly dangerous cases of demonic possession, but just as she is starting to come to terms with her freakish new role, Bridget receives a startling message from one of the demons. And when one of her oldest friends is killed, Bridget realizes she's in deeper than she ever thought possible. Now she must unlock the secret to the demons' plan before someone else close to her winds up dead - or worse, the human vessel for a demon king.

 Reaaaally enjoyed this book a lot, so I'm suddenly really glad Kirsty's pawning off her DNF'S to me. I've you've been reading my reviews (or even just checking out the ratings) then you would know I have only really disliked one or two books, although it is rare for me to hate a book, since I always like to see the good in a book more than being technical (or if you've read some of Kirsty's DNF reviews, cynical sorrynotsorry)

Now, onto Possess...


I'm sorry, did I scare you?

Possess is rather action packed, so it was fast paced, though it was confusing in the beginning, it got less so the more I got into it, which took me a few chapters until I did, but then my problem was, the more I got into it, the more I realised it felt very much like a teen/tween read.



At the beginning, the characters seemed very superficial and bitchy, but they grew and went through some character growth, so by the end they seemed more fleshed out, and their growth was caused by some of the plot, so it helped everything along nicely.


I never got bored, there were some filler chapters where it felt like nothing was happening and you could take it out and it would be the same story because it wouldn't have made a difference to it, but they didn't bore me either. Possess is more of a Supernatural forces, and the way they were described and the way it played into the story made it interesting.

I get why some would DNF (like Kirsty did) but I enjoyed it.